Friday, April 3, 2009

The Orlando "Trip"

Wednesday morning at 1 am I left for Orlando with my students from school. A three day world wind trip to Sea World, Islands of Adventure, and Kennedy Space Center. I was really looking forward to the trip. About 4 am, we stopped at a welcome center on the GA/FL border for a potty stop. It was raining, so I was running to avoid being soaking wet when I got back on the bus. I guess the Lord knows I don't need to be running. I attempted to jump over a puddle, and when I landed, I landed on the curb instead of the sidewalk. I fell face first into the asphalt. My face went numb immediately and blood was everywhere. I jumped up and headed to the restroom to check the damage. The teachers I teach with are very good in crisis situations, and took very good care of me. They informed me I would not be going to Orlando, but would instead be headed to the closest ER. They insisted I needed stitches. After trying to argue with them that I was fine for about 5 minutes, I gave up and they called my closest friend from Valdosta, Rhonda to come and get me. Rhonda awoke from her deep sleep and transported me to SGMC, the hospital in Valdosta where my children were born. After some stupid questions from the triage nurses (like do I consider myself a fall risk? I mean come on- do you see my face?) I was put in a ER bay to wait. I had the nicest doctor and nurse. The doctor said he wanted a plastic surgeon to fix my face so I would have less chance of scarring. I have several strawberries on my upper nose and chin and a good gash above my upper lip. Thank goodness, Brian arrived before the sewing and kept me calm (many of you know of my fear of needles and hospitals). By about 9:00 we were done and headed home. I am so thankful I didn't break any teeth or hurt my head any worse. I am thankful I have a friend named Rhonda who always comes to my aid, no matter how early or how costly it will be for her. She is the best. She kept me laughing and calm throughout the whole experience. All in all, I was reminded of several lessons today. God is always in control. He worked out so many details, form the fact I was in Valdosta to the fact that this hospital had a plastic surgeon on call. He worked out the fact that I have spring break next week and can stay inside and not have to go and see people. He also reminded me that just like Rhonda, he will never leave me nor forsake. He is always there when I need him. Needless to say, if you're looking for a monster for Halloween cards next year, let me know and I will send my face shot from Wednesday. (Yes, you know I had to take a pic for my scrapbooking, but I am not bold enough to share it here, sorry!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Good Lord was looking out for you and we are so thankful. SGMC is also where you were BORN. How time flies--- we have sent you on so many class trips but none resulted in the emergency room.
You are loved, Mom & Dad