Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A poem for my children

The past few weeks my students in school have been studying and writing poetry. They were asked to write a free verse poem, and being the wonderful teacher that I am, I wrote one of my own in front of them. What follows is the poem that I wrote about Anna. I am no poet laureate, but I do hope she'll know how proud I am to be her mom.

Anna
Attitude waiting to happen
Emotions that change on a dime
Loving and cuddly one moment
Mad and frustrated the next
An athlete who outruns the boys
Fierce competitor in softball and soccer
Yet, a graceful dancer
Creativity and logic are her strengths
Anna
More freckles than the grains of sand
Clear blue eyes
that catch the attention of all
An eye now bandaged
because of a race gone bad
Skinny, yet muscular build
a build she's not old enough to appreciate
Dirty blond hair
with waves she can't control
Looks nothing like her mom-
Yet, we're the same.

No comments: